I recently took part in the adventure of a lifetime, swapping my Macbook for a machete to take part in an eye-opening rainforest conservation project deep in the Peruvian Amazon. I am a freelance journalist who has always been fascinated with this majestic jungle, but sadly knew more about shopping on Amazon.com than Amazon deforestation and conservation. I regularly report on combating carbon and supporting green initiatives, so I decided to sign up as a rainforest conservation volunteer to practice what I preach.
With the support and sponsorship of 21 corporate partners, including Voltimum, I travelled to the Manu Biosphere Reserve in the Peruvian Amazon. Along with conservation work and donations, my project's aim was to increase awareness about
what is actually happening within the Amazon rainforest.
With a camcorder, notepad and dry bag on hand, I had the opportunity (in between grueling treks and hard manual labour)
to report on deforestation and its effects on the incredible biodiversity found within this unique and quickly disappearing
environment.

5 things I learned in the Peruvian Amazon

Me and my trusty machete
A machete is an all-purpose tool. It can be used for: clearing trails, digging holes in soil (tree planting), stripping cane (for biogarden fences), hacking unruly bamboo, cutting fruit and walking support.

Conservation involves more than just preserving wildlife.  In order for a project to be sustainable, local people need to support the cause and benefit from the projects.

Primary forest mosquitoes are very large and have white stripes on their legs (seriously)

Listening in the most powerful sense in the jungle. Because the rainforest is so dense with plant life, it is very difficult to spot many of the animal species because they have plenty of hiding opportunities and our walking/crunching often alerts them of our presence. From monkey calls to birdsong, the sounds of the Amazon are key in identifying and tracking wildlife.


Rainforest destruction is a complicated and controversial issue that I barely touched upon. There are lots of socio-economical matters intertwined. People living in and around the rainforest need to feed their families and sadly destroying the trees (for agricultural land, logging and oil exploration) provides communities with the money needed to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment