I recently took part in the adventure of a lifetime, swapping my Macbook for a machete to take part in an eye-opening rainforest conservation project deep in the Peruvian Amazon. I am a freelance journalist who has always been fascinated with this majestic jungle, but sadly knew more about shopping on Amazon.com than Amazon deforestation and conservation. I regularly report on combating carbon and supporting green initiatives, so I decided to sign up as a rainforest conservation volunteer to practice what I preach.
With the support and sponsorship of 21 corporate partners, including Voltimum, I travelled to the Manu Biosphere Reserve in the Peruvian Amazon. Along with conservation work and donations, my project's aim was to increase awareness about
what is actually happening within the Amazon rainforest.
With a camcorder, notepad and dry bag on hand, I had the opportunity (in between grueling treks and hard manual labour)
to report on deforestation and its effects on the incredible biodiversity found within this unique and quickly disappearing
environment.

The elephant in the room…

I feel the need to write a few words about the obvious truth of travelling approximately 12,000 km from London to the Manu Biosphere Reserve. There is clearly a huge carbon footprint involved, so it might be seen as defeating the purpose of working as a rainforest conservation volunteer.

The point I want to make is that this is a trip that I had always wanted to do and would have done at some point in my life. Through this project, I chose to experience the Amazon via conservation work and reporting rather than through a tour group. This was not a holiday. I worked my little sweaty socks off whilst there and have spent many unpaid hours/days/weeks upon my return putting together all of my coverage. This incredibly challenging (and rewarding) experience has made me a better person and I can only hope that the awareness I raise will lead to more people getting involved with conservation and opting for ecotourism.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Frankie! Whilst we all sometimes dream about doing these things you have the guts and determination to carry it through. Look forward to following your future adventures.

    Regards
    Mike Cottam

    ReplyDelete