I recently took part in the adventure of a lifetime, swapping my Macbook for a machete to take part in an eye-opening rainforest conservation project deep in the Peruvian Amazon. I am a freelance journalist who has always been fascinated with this majestic jungle, but sadly knew more about shopping on Amazon.com than Amazon deforestation and conservation. I regularly report on combating carbon and supporting green initiatives, so I decided to sign up as a rainforest conservation volunteer to practice what I preach.
With the support and sponsorship of 21 corporate partners, including Voltimum, I travelled to the Manu Biosphere Reserve in the Peruvian Amazon. Along with conservation work and donations, my project's aim was to increase awareness about
what is actually happening within the Amazon rainforest.
With a camcorder, notepad and dry bag on hand, I had the opportunity (in between grueling treks and hard manual labour)
to report on deforestation and its effects on the incredible biodiversity found within this unique and quickly disappearing
environment.

The Unusual Suspects – Mugshots from the Amazon

It is called a “rainforest” after all - This morning I witnessed the mother of all rainstorms. My plan to trek to the indigenous community of Shintuya to interview leaders for my documentary was washed away with the extreme weather. Instead, I took dry shelter under the MLC’s communal area to study some of the species I might be encountering in the Amazon.

Here are a couple of interesting ones:

South American Tapir: Sir Mix-a-lot said it best -“Baby got back!”. This large brown mammal is easy to identify by its distinctive snout an elongated lip. It also has small oval ears with white tips, a round rump and stubby tail.
Razor-billed Curassow: A large bird that looks like it could be an exotic turkey (minus the silly wobbly wattle). Its physical features include a bright red ridge above a reddish bill, mostly black feathers and pale red legs. They also have a white terminal tail band and a chestnut patch under its abdomen.

Golden Tegu: Pretty and powerful, this lizard is glossy with black and gold stripes, strong limbs and a thick tail. It grows to be approximately 2 to 3 feet on average.

No comments:

Post a Comment